The Tax Collector is responsible for the billing, collection and recording of all taxes, sewer fees and sewer assessments levied upon the properties in the Township of Chatham.
See how your tax dollars are spent. View the Township budget here.
2019 Senior Freeze (Property Tax Reimbursement) Notice
The deadline for residents to file their 2019 Senior Freeze (Property Tax Reimbursement) application is November 2, 2020. Applications are available in the Tax Office in the Township Municipal Building.
Please review this additional information related to the Senior Freeze:
- To ask questions please call: 1-800-882-6597 (8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday -Friday, except holidays) or email
- To listen to information or to order an application please call: 1-800-323-4400
- For in-person assistance please visit www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/ot1.shtml
- For additional information please visit the NJ Department of Taxation at http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation
- Text Telephone Service (TTY/TDD) for Hard-of-Hearing Users please call: 1-800-286-6613 or 609-984-7300
PAY TAXES ONLINE:
The Tax Office is now able to accept on-line Tax and Sewer payments (not Sewer Assessment payments). You are also able to check your account balances on the Township website.
To pay your tax and sewer bill or to look up account information, click here.
Please note, online payment processing will be suspended at noon on the last working day of December and will resume in the first working day of January.
If you are a new resident, please contact us at 973-635-3206 so that we can make sure all your information and accounts are up to date.
Tax bills are mailed annually. New bills are not mailed when there is a change of ownership; you must contact the tax office and request a bill.
Furthermore, if you are a property owner and did not receive a bill, you are not exempt from paying taxes. NJSA:54:4-64 states that the validity of any tax or assessment, or the time at which it shall be payable, shall not be affected by the failure of the taxpayer to receive a bill; but every taxpayer is put on notice to ascertain from the tax office, the amount due for taxes or assessments against him or his property.
The following fees will apply for online tax and sewer payments:
|e-check||$1.05 per transaction||e-check||$1.05 per transaction|
|Visa Debit||$3.95 per transaction||All other debit/credit cards||2.95% of payment|
|All other debit/credit cards||2.95% of payment|
WHEN ARE TAXES DUE?
- Property taxes are due February 1st, May 1st, August 1st and November 1st
- Sewer taxes are due March 1st, June 1st, September 1st and December 1st