Chatham Township Environmental Commission
What We Do
Environmental Commissioners are charged with the duty to protect the environment and conserve natural resources.
- We are your advocate. We research your concerns and suggestions, and take action to protect our environment
- We are an advisory body to the Mayor, governing body, municipal departments, and municipal boards, and committees
- We educate and inform residents about sustainability and ways to protect the environment and shrink our carbon footprint.
- We inventory and monitor environmental resources; promote and help manage conservation easements; review and monitor certain proposed construction
- We research and propose ordinances to protect the environment
- We review construction site plans and help residents, the Planning and Zoning Boards, and the Land Use Office to understand the environmental consequences of land use decisions.
- We provide community education and outreach to residents, local schools, churches, organizations, businesses, etc.